Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Name is Campbell, Bruce Campbell

Film Junk gave My Name is Bruce one star--out of five. Bruce Campbell is the star, director, and producer of this lovely straight to DVD film. Campbell plays himself--a B-film horror movie actor that lives in a trailer with his dog. We join him as he is making a sequel to "Cave Alien," a movie filled with fake alien costumes with disgusting yellow blood that squirts and spurts all over Campbell's face. While Campbell is in battle with the fake alien forces, Jeff, a teenage Campbell fan, is awakening the Chinese god of war and bean curds.

It sounds ridiculous--and it only gets worse. This is where I disagree with Sean, the writer of the review on Film Junk. As My Name is Bruce got worse, I enjoyed it more--but Sean didn't. "You can't manufacture a movie that is so bad it's good--it happens by accident (with the exception of maybe Snakes on a Plane)" said Sean. If a a rule has one exception, it can easily have another. This movie was supposed to be bad, that was the intention. It was a mockery of all the B-films that Campbell has made. It was a mockery of ridiculous monsters, and the crazy ways that you can kill them. Campbell was making fun of his filmography, and he was doing it on purpose.

Campbell's boomstick, chainsaw and zombie monologues were sentimental references to the movies that made him famous--the Evil Dead trilogy. "Once you've made love the Bruce Campbell way, you don't go back," said Campbell, an obvious reference to his book, Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way. This whole movie was supposed to be a really poorly done tribute to the work of Bruce Campbell--it was awful on purpose, so to call it awful is somewhat counterproductive. "Now I realize that there are plenty of Bruce Campbell fans out there who will love this movie no matter what anyone says, and that’s totally fine," says Sean. "These are the people that Campbell is relying on to make a living, and I want to see him find steady work just as much as the next guy." I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a Bruce Campbell fan and I'm going to like this movie no matter what Sean says. It was funny in an "I'm so embarrased for him" kind of way, and I believe that is exactly what Campbell was going for. So if Sean wants to call this a terrible movie, and slap a one star rating on it, that's "totally" fine with me. Campbell wanted this to be a bad movie--that was the point. As a viewer and a fan, I am going to accept the fact that Campbell was just trying to give his fans a stupid laugh or two, and that's worth a few more stars to me.

If you would like to judge this movie for yourself, it is available at a Redbox near you.

No comments: